The Eastern Ohio Regional Wastewater Authority (EORWA) was formed in 1958 in Belmont County. It was created to intercept the combined sewage outfalls from the communities of Bellaire, Bridgeport, Brookside, and Martins Ferry, convey the collected sewage to a central treatment plant, treat the sewage, and discharge the effluent to the Ohio River. The original treatment plant was constructed in 1964 with significant improvements completed in 1996, 1999 through 2001, 2010 and 2018.
EORWA treats waste for approximately 14,000 residents in the above municipalities along with other County residents through agreements with the municipalities and Belmont County Sanitary Sewer District.
EORWA does not own or operate the collection system serving the communities of Bellaire, Bridgeport, Brookside, and Martins Ferry. EORWA also serves Belmont County Sanitary Sewer District service area between the east end of St. Clairsville and Boydsville, including the Ohio Valley Mall, the Ohio Valley Plaza, Route 40 east, Lansing, Blaine, and Wolfhurst as well as the Neff’s community along State Route 149.
Sewage is received from the four communities through a series of regulator stations, diversion manholes, interceptor sewers, and lift stations. Sewage from the Belmont County area is received through the Boydsville and Bel Capre lift station. Belmont County flows are measured through a master meter and charges levied according to usage.
Eastern Ohio Regional Wastewater Authority